Monday, August 25, 2008

I can't talk! :O

I'm trying to decide whether or not to go to the doctor. I'm also trying to decide how I'm going to call in sick to work when I can't talk. Seriously, I've never literally lost my voice before. Had a scratchy voice for an hour or three, sure, but I've never had a sore throat so bad that when I tried to talk, nothing came out.

Well, okay, to be more accurate, only sometimes does nothing come out. Other times, I'll get out a low rasp, but I can usually say the words. It sounds pretty terrible, though, and it hurts to listen to it. Ha, and when I was driving to Chevron to get some Advil for my headache (Safeway was closed), I tried singing with the radio, more out of habit than anything. Yeah, that didn't work at all.

I'm about 85% sure it's not strep, though. No spots, and lymph nodes aren't that swollen. And I'm coughing up stuff, which I believe isn't very common for strep. I think it's just a sore throat. Maybe a cold or the flu or something. Hence why I think seeing a doctor would be a waste of time and money. Thoughts from all you health nuts (cough Dianna) who probably know more about this kind of thing than I?

4 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

The deciding factor is fever. If you are running a temperature so that you feel clammy, or are having chills, or the thermometer assuming you have one registers more than 2 degrees above normal, then you should consider the doctor. If your temperature is normal for now, just drink plenty of fluids and say lying down and don't use your voice. another indicator: If you're coughing up greenish or yellowish stuff, or if the stuff really smells bad, go to the doctor. If it's white and doesn't smell at all, you might get by without one. Watch closely for other symptoms. As long as its just your throat, and possibly even a runny nose, fine. But if you get a croupy cough, or feel a pain deep in your chest when you cough, or if the symptoms spread to include headache, eye-ache, earache, nausea, etc., get to the doctor. Drink lots of healthy fluids, and eat right. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dianna said...

chamomile tea (no idea how to spell that... sound it out.. :) feels really really good on sore throats and if you think it's gross add lots of honey. or, if you don't feel like buying the tea just drink honey water... warmed also feels good. and cough drops. they help sore throats. and yeah, you've probably been screaming or blabbing too much. :) i think you'll be fine! but then again, i'm really hard on people so if you wake up dead next week, don't come haunt me!

dubby said...

how are you feeling?

King Isepik said...

Aside from the cost of the visit, I don't see any issue with going to see a doctor for this. You always have the option of ignoring him if you feel the need, but he just might be able to help. :)

The point is, what can it hurt to go see a doctor?

Of course, this is my opinion and it's only worth a couple of copper, so please salt to taste, or simply toss it out the window.