Rye and I went to Anchorage yesterday to drop off his roommate Tom at the airport. Summer's starting to end and people are trickling away. About two and a half weeks till we lose Emmelie and Steven to school. Only about four weeks until I turn twenty-one and move to Fairbanks. And on some days, it seems like that just can't come fast enough.
I really didn't feel good today. My head hurt and my tummy hurt and I was in a really grumpy mood. It was one of those grumpy moods where you're well aware you're in a grumpy mood and you're not even really justified in being in a grumpy mood and you could cheer up anytime but you just don't feel like it. At first break, I actually went home to lie down for fifteen minutes. The dark and quiet was nice, and the ten minutes seemed to last a really long time, but I didn't really feel any better. After lunch, I tried eating a candy bar, thinking maybe I was having chocolate withdrawals or something -- I'll admit I may be addicted to chocolate and/or sugar -- but it didn't help. At all. In fact, it kind of made me want to throw up. So Beth sent me home. Fine with me. I was ready to start biting heads off anyway. So I zonked for seven hours. Now I'm awake and my head still hurts, but my tummy feels a bit better. I'm never eating anything ever again.
Inside the Snickers I ate, it defined "Peanutopolis" as a feeling that makes you feel important and powerful, almost mayor-like. I would disagree with that on two counts. One: The suffix -opolis usually refers to a city, not a feeling or state of mind. Two: Mayors really aren't powerful. In the stories, mayors are stereo-typed as short, chubby men who don't do much except wear funny-looking vests and hats and make it difficult for the main characters to achieve whatever they're trying to do. They're usually pompous and somewhat stupid, and most of the time, they're rude and ungrateful for whatever the main characters do for them.
Maybe I should write a story breaking the mayor stereo-type. Maybe the mayor could even be (gasp!) the main character! ...Or maybe I should finish my Princess Eliza story first.
...And what do mayors have to do with peanuts, anyway?
1 comment:
That's how I feel when I've had too much sugar. Sure hope you aren't getting my diabetes!
I think the Dr Seuss mayors represent that authority Snickers is talking about. Where they come in at the end and reward the hero. Think of Oz.
Post a Comment