Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Change the World

When I was younger, I used to have big dreams about changing the world. Now I've realized that pretty much the only way to do that would be to either be a terrorist or to spend a lot of time studying politics and petitioning and leading strikes and stupid junk like that, and even after I do all that, I'll just be another name in a textbook for people to memorize. People who did the REAL important stuff in the world never get remembered. I mean, who discovered fire? Who designed the wheel? Who invented chocolate chip cookies, or realized that peanut butter and jelly taste really good together on a sandwich? No one remembers those people, but everyone remembers Adolf Hitler, Henry the Eighth, George Washington, FDR.... It's not that people can't measure up to those guys, it's just those were the lucky, charismatic, politically active guys. Well, George Washington's a special case because from what I've read, he was a kick-butt general in the army. But I'm not cool enough to be in the army. In fact, I've only shot guns once in my whole life, because shooting is a BOY thing to do. Stupid girl scouts (YW activities). We didn't get to shoot guns or tie knots or learn plumbing and whittling and carpentry and fishing. We were too busy writing lists of qualities we were going to look for in our future husbands and sewing white silk onto hangers so we could hang our wedding dresses on them. Uggggh. We didn't even get to cut out the silk or anything. We just stitched one seam and then stuffed it with cotton and glued on an already-tied ribbon. And that was supposed to take an hour and a half. I hate crafts. So much.

...Where was I heading with this? Oh yeah. So I've decided there's not really much I can do to change the world. Not if I want to enjoy life, anyway. Oh, the other crappy thing about changing the world today is that if I did, I'd spend the rest of the life with paparazzi on my back. Chris says paparazzi dig up as much dirt as they can because people put their pop culture icons on pedestals and worship them almost like gods, and because of human nature, people love to see gods fall. "Just look at Greek and Roman mythology," he said.

So I think I'll settle with just being an ordinary person. I'll try to make as many people laugh as I can as often as I can. Because the world could always use more laughter.

This post has been brought to you by one of the Queen's favorite words, cachinnate.

3 comments:

Obliviocelot said...

lol, wow, ADD is not conducive to thoughtful, philosophical essays.

dubby said...

you've been watching too many movies

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Oh.... but you ARE changing the world. Everyone you meet, everyone whose life you touch, everyone who gets to know you, everyone who enjoys being around you, even for a few moments, is changed. As you get older, and are around more and more people, you will begin to realize how much impact you are having on those around you. Just as you are shaped by those with whom you affiliate with, others are shaped by affiliating with you. So cheer up... you ARE changing the world. Realize it, and make sure you are changing it for the better!