The only people I have known
Who've ever lived or died
Have built themselves a giant wall
Behind which they would hide.
They decorate this giant wall
So other folks can see
The kind of person that they would
Pretend that they can be.
The harshest man that I have known
Hides behind his wall
But once behind it, you can find
The softest heart of all.
I have another friend who's always
Bragging left and right.
Although she says she thinks she's great,
She's not in her own sight.
People like to act to be
Who others want to see.
By acting long enough,
Can you become who you try to be?
*****
Okay, so the rhythm is off in places... and the idea is a little lame. But I'm a beginner. And I only spent like ten minutes on this. I'm more of a writer than a poet anyway--I just felt like taking a stab at it. At least it's not free verse. ;)
...I'm actually pretty good at free verse, which amuses me, because frankly, I hate free verse.
Next time I get the urge to try writing poetry, I'll try writing a funny poem with a story behind it. That would be much more fun, and also more my style.
2 comments:
So now you want to write some rhyme
I guess we all do from time to time
But it isn’t quite your thing
Since you can’t teach the words to sing
I hope you will enjoy this day
Of juvenile tricks and play
May all your weird fun there at school
Be successful this April fool!
Good, Better, Best;
Never let it rest
'Til your "Good" is "Better",
And your "Better", "Best".
Post a Comment