I went contra-dancing with some friends last night. It was a ton of fun and probably even worth missing Earthdawn for! I knew about half a dozen people there and now know the names of about as many more. It was way better than the church dances I attended as a teenager because a) we weren't all just jumping around randomly like mexican jumping beans on crack, and b) people asked me to dance every single time because everyone actually went there to dance and not because they were obligated to go. (Okay, well, I was obligated, sort of, but I wanted to dance anyway, because I'll try anything once as long as it won't kill anyone, get me arrested, or cause serious damage.) Twice, I actually got asked by two different people and had to ask the second to save the next dance for me.
I felt like I was pretty terrible because I kept forgetting steps, and rushing up late, and I still can't figure out what the "balance" move is all about, partly because everyone seems to do it differently. But nobody really seemed to care, and they laughed right along with me as they made similar mistakes. I was glad most of the people remembered the moves and could steer me in the right direction when I forgot a step. If there's one thing I'm pretty good at, it's following. (But not so much when I was waltzing with Will, because I was trying to step in time to the music and, well, he wasn't.)
I don't think I stopped grinning all night. It was way fun, and I was actually pretty sad when it ended, partly because it meant the fun was over, partly because I had to part with all the cute guys (except the ones that came to Denny's with us afterward), and partly because it meant it was time to start thinking about schoolwork again.
Schoolwork. Sigh. Oh well. The break was nice while it lasted.
4 comments:
Aww, Lint Monkey dancing? So many sarcastic responses just waiting to be written...but I'll be nice! For now...
See, social interaction is fun, isn't it? Real World > Pixelated Phat Letz" occasionally!
Hey, pretending to be a pixie counts as social interaction!
Haha The "balance" part is easy, but there is about half the people there who do not forget or do not do it :)
If you want some fail-safe tips on the waltz let me know!
I'm glad the outing went out so well! Dancing (I mean, jumping around to music when you don't have to care about doing it right) is a very fun thing. :)
Post a Comment