Saturday, April 12, 2008

Laaaa

There's nothing to boost your ego quite like returning to some friends you've left for a while. Well, I guess it depends on the friends and the situation. Anyway, I confess, the other day I reactivated my WoW account for one month because I really felt like killing a whole lot of low-level mobs, and Final Fantasy IX just wasn't cutting it. I've cut way back now and can hardly sit still for the two hours it takes to clear Karazhan now, but even now, every time I log on, I get a message from someone saying "Oh my gosh, you're back, I missed you, I thought you were going to be gone forever!!!"

Turns out I don't need an ecclesiastical form to go back to BYU after all. I actually need a separate form that I have to have an interview with both the branch president and the stake president for. And one of the questions is "How active is this student in church: active, semi-active, or inactive." The answer isn't going to make me look good. And by the time I send in the form, it'll be at least two months late. Possibly more, because the stake president is in Soldotna and it may be weeks before I can schedule an appointment with him anyway.

The good news is, I could apply to University of Alaska Fairbanks if/when BYU doesn't take me back. Their Linguistics major is actually close enough to BYU's English Language major that most of my credits will transfer, I think, so I wouldn't have to start a new major over from scratch. Also, all I need is to register to vote and I can qualify as an Alaska state resident and pay about a third the tuition I would have to if I weren't a resident. (I'm going to call on Monday to double-check on both of those last two sentences.) Their application deadline isn't until July, so I wouldn't be applying late, either. (Why is BYU's so much earlier?)

Of course, that kills my idea of a road trip through Canada this fall. But I would definitely have to fly down and relieve the poor King and Queen of all my crap, which they've been storing for me for the last year. I feel really bad about that... I'm soory...

Still toying with ideas here. It's nice realizing I have options.

3 comments:

King Isepik said...

Options = Good! :)

dubby said...

How much is UA Fairbanks? You will probably lose a fourth of your credits, usually you lose everything over the 200 level and the religion ones. Would you have to move there?

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Any university which enjoys any respect at all generally does not transfer major courses. For example, at JMU, you can't transfer but one (1) 300-level course, and no 400-level courses at all, without major exception paperwork, and even then you can only transfer a max of two (2) upper-level courses towards a major. Almost ALL of your liberal studies (100-200-level coursework) can generally be transferred as "general education", and what's more, you can often transfer a few of your 300-400 level courses as if they were 200 or 300 level courses if they were general studies. (For example, if you took a 300-level American History course, it might apply to exempt you from having to take the standard 100-level American History course requirement at your new school. But I doubt seriously if any decent university will allow you to take major courses at another university, at least not more than one or maybe two max. Generally, a major consists of 10 to 15 3-hour courses.... and these are the ones that they generally don't let you transfer. Sometimes, they also won't let you transfer "core" courses either (for instance, at JMU, an accounting major consists of 12 upper-level accounting courses, and you can't transfer in but one of them. But the core consists of another 10 courses in management, economics, marketing, statistics, computer tools, operations management, business law, organizational behavior, finance, etc., and you can't transfer in but 5 of those 10. Ergo, at JMU, you have to attend at JMU for at least 2 years to get a degree from JMU, even if you already had 285 semester credit hours from somewhere else. Moral of the story: read the fine print very carefully. All of this should be spelled out in print in the college catalog.