Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Geek question

I have a question for all my geeky computer-nerd friends.

I got my Maxtor external hard drive for Christmas two or three years ago. For some reason, when I plug it in, sometimes it makes weird beeping noises. In addition, if I plug it into the USB port in the front of the computer and try to move on or off a file of, say, 500 MB, it says it'll take half an hour. So I wait a minute or two and it says "Now it'll take 53 minutes." So I wait, and it says "Now it'll take 160 minutes." And then, "Now it'll take 7 hours and 43 minutes," at which point I just say "Ugh, forget it!" and disconnect it.

Now, if I plug it into the back of the computer, it copies the file in twelve seconds, no problem.

Theoretically, both the ports go to the same place, though, don't they? Why does it mess up in the front but not the back? (It doesn't beep when I plug it into the back, either.) Now, when I tried to connect it to Rye's computer, it gave me the same problem. But Rye doesn't have any open USB ports in the back of his computer and he won't try disconnecting anything because he says it shouldn't make a difference.

I don't have this problem with my thumb drive or camera cord or Zune cord or anything else I plug into the computer. What's the problem here? Rye theorized something about the hard drive being USB 1.0, for all the difference that'll make. If that's the problem, could I get a converter or a different cord or something to fix the problem?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your rear USB ports are most likely USB 2.0 (high speed), while typically the front ports are USB 1.1 (eww, low speed).

If the drive was manufactured in the past two or so years, it's most likely USB 2.0, but without seeing it, or having a model number to reference, I can't say for certain.

There is no converter that would make a difference, a hub that plugs into your rear ports would work, however.

Notice I didn't even make a comment about rear ports? heh heh heh

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

You will have to check "My computer" to see if the front ports are USB 1.1 and the rear ports 2.0. I believe the outboard disk is a 2.0. However, there may be more to the question. The outboard disk is powered via the USB cord? If there is no external power supply (wall wart), then it is possible the front connectors on the computer do not have the full USB 2.0 power, even though they may be rated for 2.0 speed. The disk drive takes a honkin' lot of power at 5 volts, so the front connectors may not power the disk at full RPM's, hence its transfer speed will automatically drop back. However, a 500 MB file should not take an hour or more even at USB 1.1 speeds. Something else may be wrong with that USB port. "Jiggle the cable."

Terrace said...

I have two different speed USB ports.. similar issue, so yeah. what they said :P