Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Child's Play

I have a habit of pacing. I pace when I read, I pace when I study, I pace when I'm thinking, I pace when I'm bored, I pace when I don't feel well, I pace when I'm angry, I pace when I'm on the phone.... Basically, if I'm not at work, on the computer, or playing the piano, I pace. I've very nearly taken it to an art form. There's a certain way to move your hips and feet so you don't lose your balance and so you're facing the right direction when you turn. There's a certain angle to hold a book so you can see where you're going and still read. There's only one thing that throws off my pacing....

Mirrors. I hate mirrors. I hate wiping them down at work, I hate looking in them, and I hate it when I'm pacing and I catch sight of movement out of the corner of my eye and freak out for a fraction of a second until I realize it's just my reflection. It's not so much that I have self-esteem issues. I don't think I'm ugly. I'm not gorgeous either. Most people describe me as "cute." That's beside the point, though.

There are two mirrors in my room, both of them relatively large. And both of them are enormously distracting. Maybe it's just because they're the only thing in the room that moves besides me. Yeah, I know, it's a reflection, it doesn't really move, it's just light reflecting and blah blah. That's not the point and you know it.

Not to mention, mirrors are just creepy. Maybe I read one too many fantasy stories when I was young, but every time I look in the mirror, I feel like someone's watching me through it. Occasionally, I have to reach out and touch a mirror just to make sure it's solid. Sometimes it seems like I could step through it, into wherever it is that people watch me from. Stupid mirrors! I know, logically and scientifically and common sensically it's just a strip of shiny silver or foil or something on the back of a flat piece of glass. I know, I get it, I know. But that doesn't stop my overactive imagination from feeling like something is watching me from the other side of it.... Come on... aren't there any adults out there who feel like that sometimes, just a little bit? Or are afraid of opening the closet in case a monster jumps out at you? Or checks under the bed for the boogeyman, at least? Did no one else leave notes for their fairy godmother or talk to their stuffed animals just in case they were really listening? Am I alone in this?

...In that case, I'll shut up before I seem too much of a fool.

6 comments:

dubby said...

Um, what an active imagination you are blessed with! Yeah, this is all a blessing.

Except that pantry in the basement at night can get a bit creepy.

King Isepik said...

Mirrows really are magic. I mean, yeah there are those scientific properties and all, but they are proven to be gateways into the untold billions of alternate realities occupying one's head. :)

Of course, most people don't have a good enough key for it, but it really does work. Occasionally, I go exploring one of those realities and find it lacking, so I return. Apparently there's a grounding mechanism to the magic that gives us a way back to our own reality. :)

Of course, you should also liberally season what I say to your own taste with salt, pepper, and cumin because I just might be certifiable. Tee-hee! :D

Dianna said...

A kid in my english class wrote his research paper on the Yetis; he proved that they do exist. you should be friends ;)

Lol, though, it's true when I was a kid I would touch the mirror, just to be sure. and i really do feel sometimes that i'm being watched by someone/something invisible. creepy!

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

The first day of spring here is March 20 this year. When is the first day of Spring up where you are? July, maybe? I caught a varmit in my trap this morning, so the critters are coming out of hibernation down here. (The little possum had a cute snarl... just ask Mom!)

Laura Young-aka:Grease Monkey said...

I understand about the self-esteem issues, but hey, at least you aren't short and fat! Ha! Thanks for hanging out with me today- i had a blast hunting for eggs, even though only five had actual stuff in them!

Sister Hillary Kiser said...

I actually hate changing my clothes or going to the bathroom in front of mirrors because of that someone's-watching-on-the-other-side feeling. I'll never stop talking to inanimate objects. A lot of times I actually run from the light switch to the bed and jump up on it as fast as I can because I get the willies in the dark. (Except now I'm sleeping on the bottom half of a bunk bed and jumping wouldn't work out so well...) And I hate hanging my fare feet over the edges of beds because I'm afraid of something grabbing them or having the backs of my ankles slashed. (That one came from a movie when I was little.) ^______^()