Tuesday, March 11, 2008

the Yuy approach

Bleh, I've been feeling a bit under the weather for the last few days. I fell asleep at six and woke up forty-five minutes ago because they turned the heat off and my room was cold enough to wake me up. Woe.

The Packs had me over for dinner and FHE last night. It was really great, because I knocked on the door and heard Kamren yell my name, stepped in and suddenly was bombarded by both the kids and the dog begging for me to play with them.

Noah was being potty-trained, so he was wearing big boy underwear and his parents would plunk him down on the toilet every few hours to do his business. Well, at one point when everyone was distracted, Noah wet himself. So he ran up to me, pointed to his pants and said he'd had an accident. Then he stripped naked and ran around the room holding a box of baby wipes and squealing. His mom finally said, "Noah! Stop flashing everyone!" He ran right up in front of me, threw his arms and legs open wide, gave me a big grin, and proudly announced, "My weewee!" Then he pulled out a baby wipe and spent about two minutes carefully wiping himself off. I just about died trying to keep from laughing.

Dinner was amazing, of course. Halibut, yay! Cindy's an amazing cook!

Poor Rob (the dad) went to bed early with a headache. I felt really sorry for him, especially since the kids didn't quiet down while he was sleeping. I'm impressed with the patience Rob and Cindy have. I love Kamren and Noah to pieces, but if I had to put up with their chaos all day every day, in public and everything, I think I would have a very short temper.

I feel like Mary Beth. She's a friend of the family who used to come by when we were a lot younger. Now that I think of it, I don't know why she came by so often, or how she and Mom got to be the friends they were. But I always liked her.

Blegh, my throat is sore...

Rye and I have been learning (or in his case, relearning) how to play Dark Conspiracy, which is more or less a science fiction version of Dungeons and Dragons. He GMed the mustering out encounter today. It was terrible. Well, not terrible. He said he had trouble with the dice rolls... I had trouble figuring out my character's personality. He's a martial artist. Spent twelve years doing it, owns his own dojo and everything. I was going to base his personality off of Master Halterman, but I'm absolutely terrible at making feel like complete idiots. I ended up feeling like an idiot myself and started acting like Binki instead. (Binki was my last D&D character, a short, hyperactive halfling who bounced all over the place and liked shinies.) Then I realized I was acting about a third the actual intelligence of my character and definitely not like a 31-year-old black belt should act, so I tried to be more serious... but... it... didn't... work. I can't be serious if I try. So next time, maybe I'll just try a Heero Yuy approach. (stare, point, grunt)

And role-playing games like that are really no fun with only two people. I keep trying to talk Beth into playing, and I'm thinking about asking Tyler too, but Beth apparently doesn't want to and I don't know if Tyler would, and I'm a little nervous to ask him. Not sure why.

And I'm being stupid again. I was reading a science book, just for fun, and thought "Boy, I wish I were majoring in astronomy instead of English Language..." So now part of me is tempted to go back to school after I graduate and get another major in astronomy, but the other part of me thinks that's the dumbest idea ever. I'm nearly done; why start over again?

Anyway, that's all for now. Toodles!

2 comments:

dubby said...

You can edit astronomy books.

Terrace said...

lol! at last comment ^


Also:
Binki reminds me of a certain gnome... :P