Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Snowday

Happy Easter and stuff!

Work was kind of funny today. Everyone was cheerful, and Spawn had on fuzzy bunny ears that were nice to pet (except I think she wanted to bite me whenever I fondled her ears). But after a few hours, I started aching all over from wrestling with the kids yesterday and then started freezing up. Silly Lint Monkey... I should've stretched out before exercising. Or working. Or both.

Oh well. God let us go home after we finished the cabins, so we have a few hotel rooms left to clean tomorrow, but meh, big deal. Well, kind of... Just think, if we'd managed to get it all done today, one or two of us might have gotten tomorrow off.... Le sigh. And dejavu. (Or however it's spelled. Stupid French words.)

Anyway, I went to the Drawdy's place almost right after work. (That's Madison's family.) I got to play with the cats and dogs again (turns out there's another cat too, slightly older, who seems to stay far away from Madison, so I only saw him for the first time tonight after Madison went to bed). Melissa, the 19-year-old daughter, set up an easter egg hunt for Madison, me, and the two missionaries. The rest of the night was haunted with the sound of Madison begging people to come outside and do the easter egg hunt again.

Towards evening, two moose walked into the yard, about twenty feet away from the window. I'm fairly sure they're the same two that were on the resort a few days ago: a yearling and a pregnant cow. Melissa, Madison, and Jason went outside to look. The moose were ignoring us, so I stood in the doorway to see them better, but I went inside really quick when Jason started throwing snowballs at the moose.

Dinner was fantastic! There were about twelve different dishes including fruit salad, macaroni salad, green beans fried with onion and bacon, ham, deviled eggs, some kind of mashed/creamed potato stuff with sour cream and cheese and onions... Oh man, I just about died, I was so happy. And then there was pumpkin mousse and apple pie for dessert!

Madison insisted I sit next to her at dinner, and after we ate, she challenged me to a drinking contest. I refilled my lemonade and her water and she said "Ready set go!" and started chugging. I emptied my cup before she was even halfway through hers, so she said, "Wait, fill your cup up and let's try it again!" (Of course, hers was still halfway down, but no big deal.) So I refilled my cup and she said "Ready go!" and started chugging. I got about half of my second glass down before I burst out laughing and sprayed a boatload of water out my nose all over my plate. The funniest part was that even then, I still won.

A little later, Elder Bell was playing with the shock collar. He dared me to let him shock me with it, "just on the lowest setting... it doesn't hurt!" So I eventually agreed. Then he said, "Want to try it on the next setting?"

"What do you think I am, stupid?"

"Hey, my record is setting five."

"Well, congratulations."

"You don't want to try to beat my record?"

"Are you challenging me?"

"It's okay. I can understand if you're too scared to do it. You are a girl, after all."

DANG it!!! So of course, then I HAD to do it, but not for I called him a "horrible horrible man" several times. Setting three sent a painful jolt all the way up to my elbow, setting four made my whole arm seize up for a second, and setting five made me jerk about three feet back. I take a goodly amount of pride in the fact that I didn't make a sound when I took setting five. Apparently, when Elder Bell took it at five, he screamed like a little girl.

Hmmm, what else? Oh yeah, one of the first things Madison did when I showed up was run up to me and punch me in the stomach and say, "Hey, did that hurt?"

"Not really," I told her. For goodness' sakes, I'm a french horn player! No six-year-old on Earth could hurt me by punching me in the stomach unless they caught me completely off-guard. (Yes, I am aware that a bravado statement almost exactly like that is what killed Harry Houdini.) That's because of my manly rock-hard abs. Rawr!

Well, Madison devoted a good part of the rest of the evening to punching me and kicking me in the stomach as hard as she could and asking me if it hurt. I'm convinced that she hurt her hands worse than she hurt me.

While we were outside looking for eggs, I discovered that the dog Abbey loves to chase snowballs. And by "chase" snowballs, I mean I would throw one up into the air and the dog would run up six-foot-tall snowpiles and do backflips to catch it. She was amazing!

It snowed about three or four inches in the few hours I was there. Easter Sunday and I didn't see the ground at all today. I love this place!

That's all for now. Toodles!

3 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Your daddy is, like, totally impressed that you knew about Houdini and the circumstances of his demise. You're awesome. This is the earliest that Easter has occurred since 1913, and it won't occur this early again until 2213. Yep, that's 2213, over 200 years from now. Yesterday, going into "the club", grandma Bliss remarked about how cold it seemed for Easter. The flowers weren't even blooming yet. (BTW, I caught the Easter Bunny in my trap. Didja ever notice how much the miniature jelly beans look like colored rabbit pellets? For some reason, mom didn't want me to bring Robyn's attention to the resemblance.)

dubby said...

There are some questions about the demise of Houdini, whether or not the appendicitis was indeed there before he was hit in the stomach, as well as whether or not there was some poison involved. As with all of his life, his death is fraught with unexplained mysteries. Including: was his appendix on his LEFT side?

Your dad is incorrigible.

Laura Young-aka:Grease Monkey said...

Yes, I write poetry, some bad, some good, but its all subject to the personal taste of the reader...But ai haven't written in three years.