Thursday, February 28, 2008

100th post

Theoretically, this is my 100th post... but I have a gazillion unpublished drafts of posts, so it's probably more like my 70th. Maybe if I get bored, I'll go through all my drafts and either publish or delete them, I guess. But don't hold your breath. I hear that kills brain cells. But then, maybe I'm the only one who worries about that because I obviously don't have that many left to lose.

You know it's time to do laundry when your clothes can stand up by themselves... Don't ask how I came to think of that, because I don't have a clue. Guess I figured I'd throw that out there while I'm admitting my faults. In fact, while I'm at it, I should also add that sometimes I forget to brush my teeth.

Whew. I feel so much better now.

We found a bookmark in a room today with five steps to apologize to someone on one side and five steps to control your anger on the other side. I decided to keep it just for giggles, and a few rooms later, when Rye was messing with my head by hiding towels from me, then hanging them up when I left to get more, I called him all sorts of names, then whipped out the bookmark and started reading out loud the anger management side. "Locate the focus of your anger..." (glare at Rye) "Check. Analyze your options... Decapitation, eternal torture, breaking his computer, kicking him in the patootie..." What a useful bookmark.

Beth is going to kill me with a razor-edged Frisbee of doom, death, destruction, and various other words that start with D and imply all sorts of suffering and agony. I can't remember why anymore--probably just because it's fun. Or maybe I made one too many comments regarding the age of dirt... Or was it because I didn't put the dirty bags on the porch? Either way, I can just see a super power ranger ninja Beth with a razor-edged Frisbee of doom (etc) going Jackie Chan on me and slicing me up into little bits while cackling maniacally. Except my linty squirratypus would save me so I didn't die all the way. That way, she could decimate me again later when she's bored. Because Beth > all. (For Dad, who doesn't speak Modern, > stands for 'is greater than.')

Oh, they finally fixed the hot water and stuff, so I'm back in my room now. Joyous!

I was trying to wrap my brain around the concept of infinity yesterday and it didn't work. Time is infinite, so there is no beginning of time. And ps, where did the universe come from? Like, before there was a universe, according to the Big Bang Theory, there was nothing, right? Not space, just... nothing. It wasn't empty because there wasn't anything there to be empty. No space, no time, no nothing. Ow, my head. Then, there was an ounce of matter packed into a space a million-billion-trillionth the size of a proton. Then it exploded and made an entire universe worth of matter. Where did the ounce of matter come from if there was nothing, and where did the rest of the matter come from when it exploded? Well, not 'exploded.' 'Expanded,' I guess. There's a scientific law that says matter can't be created or destroyed, so where did it come from? According to the Creation theory, a god of some kind or another made it. Well, what did he make it of? And where did the god come from? That's infinity, I guess. Because for every time you say, "It came from this," there'll be the question, "Well, where did that come from?"

Pretend you're immortal for a second. Can you imagine so far in the future that Earth isn't even a distant memory anymore? We're talking super-duper-enormously-vastly distant future here. The human race dies out like the dinosaurs. Another species evolves and thinks they own the planet. That species dies out and another evolves. Repeat as much as you want. In the meantime, Sol is getting older and bigger and redder until one day, in a few billion years, it dies. How long have you been alive? Twenty years? Fifty? Eighty? Can you even imagine a billion years? Anyway, okay, so Sol dies. Maybe it blows up. Maybe it just gently fizzles out. Maybe it implodes and turns into a black hole. Then what? The entire rest of the universe won't even notice. Let's say you hang around near where Sol dies for a few more billion years, hoping against hope that another star will form where Sol did. Eventually, you get bored and go to the next nearest star. Right now, I believe that's Alpha Centauri. By then, maybe it'll be different. Same thing happens. The star gets old and dies. Anything living in that solar system is dead. Any scientific advances they made, any other progression they made, everything they did, is lost. So lost that no one will ever even know about it.

Makes you feel really insignificant, doesn't it? Now imagine being immortal, like almost every religion teaches you will become after you die. What will you do after the solar system dies? Everything you ever cared about will be gone. Your house, your school, your workplace, your favorite park, your entire planet, the sun, the moon, everything you ever knew will be gone. Then what?

Well, okay, that's enough thinking for today... it's time for Kwang-soo's piano lesson. Toodles!

4 comments:

Terrace said...

I been thinking about that kind of stuff a lot recently, I guess cause.. I am growing up. Thinking about life :P But yeah, theres an infinity behind us and an infinity in front, we are just in between those infinities. Our lives, are too short in well, comparison to the lifespan of things in the universe I guess. Way way too short, I want to live longer and see how everything plays out lol.

I don't know how scientist came up with the big bang theory, the universe looks like it is expanding, so I guess they assumed everything was in a lump in one spot, seems pretty strange to me that all this stuff was in one place.. thats a pretty big assumption. We have barely left our planet yet and we are talking about black holes that erase things and multiple universes.

anyway :P

lol thinking about all that stuff is pretty hard to fathom, :O well, i'm done talking :D

Have fun with Piano Lessons :D!!

Anonymous said...

Lint Monkey hurt Beth's head with the infinity wonderment of this post.

King Isepik said...

As a result of that kind of thinking, I refuse to contemplate immortality and live my life as if this life is all there is.

You bring back memories of my later high school years. That wasn't a happy time for me and I thought about this kind of thing on a daily basis. It was truly scary.

Queen Karana said...

*shrug* You create another solar system. Besides, if God can do anything, he can save the Solar System if he really wanted too.

Besides, if you are God -- or immortal -- then you see the BIG PLAN which means that you understand why and how other things must go away.

And I disagree with the statement that "everything you ever cared about will be gone" - for sake of argument, I will assume that my family has become immortal along with me. Therefore, they will NOT be gone, and honestly, they are EVERYTHING that I have ever cared about.

Why fret about "things" disappearing - they are just THINGS.