Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Crikey

I suddenly find myself too busy to get done all the things I would like to. In fact, for the last week (nearly), I've had hardly any time for anything but work, piano lessons, and DC. I've stayed up an hour or two later than I should have reading, but I have other books I'd like to read, piano songs I'd like to learn, video games I need to finish so I can give them to Spawn, and that's not even taking into account the schoolwork I need to start reviewing for when the weather warms up and I can go to Anchorage to take midterms. But it's still snowing regularly, so I guess I have a few more weeks for that.

They're still fiddling with the boilers, so my room is down to 45 degrees again, and I'm avoiding taking showers. But this time, I don't have another room that's warm, so I can't sleep well, and I go to work feeling tired and stinky. I hope they finish soon....

Also, after God spent all morning picking on me, he got grouchy in the afternoon and started growling at me instead. His glare isn't as menacing as some I've seen, but somehow that makes it even better at making me feel lower than dirt. What's especially depressing is the reason for the glare wasn't even my fault.... Why is it that when he's frustrated, he growls and reprimands me, but he doesn't seem to get annoyed with anyone else? I know I'm not perfect, and I'm not as observant at work as I could and maybe should be, and I can't read his mind and figure out exactly what he's asking me to do when he points or gives me one-word orders like "trash," but nobody else is perfect either. He can stop in the office and talk for twenty to thirty minutes, but if I hesitate on a porch before opening a door, he reprimands me for wasting time...

So I unfairly snapped at Spawn towards evening because I was annoyed that the rooms were horribly messy and hurt that God was getting mad at me unfairly (half the things he got mad at me for were things Tessie did, not me, but it's a waste of breath saying anything to her because she just gives a blank stare and then ignores whatever was said), and the new boy Tyler, who works in grounds, was chipping the four-inch-thick ice off the sidewalk outside of the room. As I walked past, he asked me what religion I was. I answered the question and he said, "Hm, never heard of it." Spawn called, "Lint Monkey, stop preaching!" She was joking, and I know she was joking, but I got a little defensive, especially when God growled at me to hurry up and get back to work. So Spawn, if you're reading this, I do apologize for getting defensive on you.

So I guess you could say I had a rough day. I haven't even gotten into how trashed the soldiers left the rooms. They lugged in a table from Seabolt Hall (apparently without permission) and used it to play poker. One of the rooms had probably about two or three cases of empty beer cans scattered about, and smelled horrible. They had smoked in two of the rooms. A few of the rooms had sunflower seeds, cereal, and I don't even know what other crap ground into the carpet. Everywhere. Even under both beds. It looked like someone had had diarrhea in one of the tubs. One or two of the rods on towel racks were bent, one badly enough that I went back to fix it (which really ticked off God). One of the microwaves had crap caked onto the tray, so God put it in the sink, left the water running, and went back to a previous room to let it soak. Well, the sink was clogged, and it overflowed, soaking the floor. I was amused. God definitely wasn't. Need I go on? So, yes, it was a rough day. I don't blame God for being stressed, except that I wish he had realized we were all feeling the same way, and getting snappish didn't help.

Jewel was stressed too. Of the few people who work at the front desk, one was on vacation and one was sick with a migraine. Jewel had a ton of junk she had to get done, but she had to man the front desk as well. I felt sorry for her, and felt bad there wasn't much of anything I could do to help except try to make her laugh.

So anyway, enough of my griping... happy things! Um, Spawn is bringing in donuts tomorrow morning! And... I'm nearly finished reading one of my books! And... one of my piano students fed me dinner tonight, and it was good, and then she gave me a loaf of cranberry chocolate chip banana bread to take home too. And... I really love this place. It snowed again. I love the snow. I don't like the ice so much, because I slip on it and I can't run everywhere, which I love doing... but I love the snow. And... I know God's not going to hold a grudge against me, that he was just stressed, so maybe he won't snap at me so much tomorrow. And... we found some Mountain Dew in a room. I like Mountain Dew! :D And I found my old band director's favorite music theory websites, so I can direct some of my students there to learn their notes. And my car still works. And my piano is awesome. And I have some fun songs to play, even though the Mario theme is harder than it seems. And Maxxy isn't totally dead yet. And I really like the new kid Tyler. He's a super nice guy. And... if I ever get another day off, I'll have more than enough stuff to do to keep me occupied, so I won't be bored. And... I had a talk with Randy the other night, so maybe he'll stop trying to get me to do stuff with just me and him now (crikey I hope so). And... now I get to try and go to sleep so I won't be dead tired at work tomorrow. Yaaaaaaay.

Toodles!

3 comments:

dubby said...

You sound like a" Bliss. "The world just hit me between the eyes, but, oh look! A chicken!" I am glad you can keep a good perspective when things go bad.

Dianna said...

haha, i still can't believe you're teaching piano. that's so cute. i wish i could watch.

Anonymous said...

I was joking. I'm glad that you realized that. And God was having a bad day. We are all getting tired and stressed not having days off. And Tessie treats me the same way. She doesn't pay attention to the rest of us when working. You can say something to her while she is looking straight at you and totally ignore you. And she goes over my work too! I would rather she point out something that I did wrong than her going over to what I just cleaned,redo it and look at me like I don't know what I'm doing. I feel for you Lint Monkey! And I still love you for all your wonderful faults.