After work, I didn't feel well, so I decided to lie down for a while. Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to get to sleep. Anyway, I was supposed to give a piano lesson at four.
After a while, the door opened and Rye stood in the doorway. I didn't even bother sitting up or rolling over to face him (I was facing the wall) or anything, but I talked to him. He said he needed a ride to Anchorage on Tuesday. I don't even remember what for. So I agreed to drive him and he added that he needed to be there at five in the evening. I vaguely wondered what would happen if the weather turned bad and we couldn't get back to town for work on Wednesday but figured he was the boss--he could worry about it.
After he left, I started feeling sick, so I got up and started pacing. I was pretty sure I was going to throw up, and as time wore on, I felt sicker and sicker, and consequently, paced faster and faster, until it was finally time to go to the bathroom and "taste the rainbow," as some call it. "Worship the porcelain goddess." "Barf my guts out." Whatever your term for it is.
As I was depositing my previous who-knows-how-many meals into the toilet, I became vaguely aware that there were four cases of drinks scattered around the small bathroom: one of Mountain Dew, one of Coca-cola (I think), and at least two of Bud Lite. I thought that was weird, but wasn't really in the mindset to dwell on it.
As I finished ridding myself of that pesky stomach acid (not to mention partially digested food), Hillary came home. I left the bathroom to talk to her.
"By the way, did you see Rye?" I asked her. "I think he came by to ask for a ride to Anchorage on Tuesday, but I'm not sure. I might have been dreaming."
"Haven't seen him. Maybe you should call him and ask."
"Oh yeah, I can imagine that conversation now. 'Hey Rye? Have I been dreaming about you?' Yeah, no."
"You could just ask if he was the one you agreed to give a ride to on Tuesday or if you're thinking of someone else. That wouldn't seem too weird."
"Hm. Okay." So I picked up the phone and called Rye. Unfortunately, my brain turned to jelly about then. "Hey Rye? Did you need a ride to Anchorage on Tuesday, or was I dreaming?"
"Ha, yeah right. Go back to sleep."
"Okay." Click. "Well, that went well."
Then my alarm went off. I woke up. Hillary was, in fact, still in Utah. There were no cases of beer in my bathroom. I didn't feel very good. So I picked up the phone to call my student. Even though I knew the number, I still managed to dial wrong twice (the first time, I only dialed the last four digits of the phone number and couldn't understand why the call wasn't going through) before getting in touch with her. I postponed her lesson to Tuesday. I mean, Monday. Yeah, Monday. I'm pretty sure.
I don't think I feel very good.
3 comments:
get better soon!!
well at least you still make me laugh... even if it's a little bit of a weirder sense of humor!
Your daddy loves you and is very sorry to hear you're not feeling well. He hopes you get better real soon.
Post a Comment