Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Zanelet

I talked to Katy and Tom today for the first time in ages. Actually, I don't think I've talked to them since last April, before I left Utah. It feels like I've been gone for forever! I can't believe Tommy's nine months old already... he'll probably be walking and talking by the time I get back. I look forward to spoiling him rotten and buying him loud toys to drive Katy and Tom up the wall. Maybe I'll bring him back an ulu. That's a good baby toy, right? Heh heh....

In general, I think babies are the ugliest critters ever to curse the planet. I saw a two-week-old monster--I mean, baby--a few days ago, and I was very nearly terrified. The thing's eyes were bugging out of its head, its mouth was a creepy shape, it had no teeth, its eyes didn't focus on anything, it drooled, it smelled bad, and when it started crying, I was alarmed for a moment because it sounded like it was being strangled. I've seen prettier lizards. I have to admit, though, that Katy and Tom's son, henceforth referred to as either 'Tommy' or 'Zanelet,' is one of the cutest babies I've ever had to see. But I'm still glad that I didn't have to be there while it was at its ugliest age. If I'd seen him when he was only a few days old, I probably wouldn't have been able to keep myself from calling him an 'it,' a 'monster,' or a 'lizard.'

Babies. Are. Ugly.

But I had a nice chat with Katy and Tom, and now I'm actually looking forward to going back to Utah this fall. Besides, apparently Ben is still there. I remember Ben. He's a geek like me, and I recall sitting in Katy and Tom's living room last year talking about World of Warcraft with him while Katy and Tom sat there staring at us like we were crazy. Hm... maybe I could come up with an excuse to ask him on a date sometime this next year.

Anyway... so I had a nice relaxing weekend. Learned that eating too many cookies is a bad idea. Brought God and Spawn donuts, but they didn't seem too excited about it. Oh well.

That's all. Toodles!

3 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

If you think babies are ugly when they are a few weeks old, just wait until you see one when it first comes out. Yuck.

And ugly isn't the half of it. They make noise. I sit on the second row at church, and I can't hear but a tenth of what the speaker says because of ... babies. But I have to admit, the one in your picture is kinda cute. I'm glad it's a silent picture, though.

dubby said...

Like father, like daughter. Ugh

Dianna said...

i think the little tyke is cute!