Thursday, October 30, 2008

...and did I mention I'm attention deficit?

Me: Ugh, I've been trying to get this Latin done all week. I wanted to finish this lesson on Monday, and it's Thursday already, and it's STILL not done!
Rob: It's that hard?
Me: It's not that it's hard, it's just very tedious. The main problem is that I'll work on it for ten minutes and then think "Oo, I want to play the piano!" or "Hey, I need to look something up on the internet!" or "Hey, my phone is ringing," or "I should check my e-mail!" ...Or I just fall asleep on it.
Rob: You know how to solve that?
Me: ...turn off the piano and computer and do my Latin in a room without any distractions?
Rob: I was going to say something to the effect of confiscating your power cords.
Me: But but but... I need to get on the internet to do my Latin because I compare it to this translation I found online when I get totally stuck, and-- ooh, that reminds me, I could do it without my computer if I printed it off, and I've finally got my printer! Hang on, I'm going to go set up my printer!
Rob: No! Sit! Latin!

Dangit!

I did finally get the Latin done. But I'm still going to have to spend Halloween at home writing a paper. Oh hey, that reminds me, I need to make an appointment with the Writing Center! Um, I mean, yeah... paper. I need to finish up the reading for the paper so I can actually write the stupid thing. Well, hey, at least staying home means that I get to torture any trick-or-treaters we get, right?

You know, my ADD had been a lot better up until a week or two ago, and suddenly it's like all my responsibility and stay-on-taskness went on vacation to somewhere warm. Stupid. I like the cold. It wasn't even all that cold today--I don't think it even got below zero. At least not until after dark.

I made fajitas today, for the first time in ages. They turned out pretty well, despite the fact that there weren't any green peppers at the store. I tried using red, orange, and yellow instead. (Usually I use red and green.) See, Mom? Proof that I CAN cook! I just usually choose not to because it bores and frustrates me. That and today I had to spend an hour cleaning the kitchen before I could cook. I just cleaned it two or three days ago, too! It's amazing how it got THAT messy THAT fast! (And none of the four sinkfuls of dishes were mine, I swear it.) I don't really mind cleaning the kitchen, though. I kind of enjoyed the excuse to take a break from homework, and anyway, I enjoyed playing a guessing game to try and figure out just what kind of food had been on what dishes. And better to play that game while cleaning the kitchen than while cleaning the bathroom. Which reminds me, our toilet is clogged, and I should probably go find a plunger somewhere and remedy the problem. I mean, set up my printer. I mean, write my paper. I mean...

Also, I have a new Latin phrase that I'm tempted to spout at my philosophy professor next time I see him: Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

3 comments:

Terrace said...

Haha congrats on cooking ;)

mmm Fajitas!

I must have ADD too, because I get distracted pretty easily when I have homework. I just sit in my room where there is nothing to do in there except homework. If you do your latin right away you'll feel a ton of relief after you do it :] But you got it done so it is all good :D


But, I should practice what I say more because sometimes I do it last minute as well :x

Rob Gumpert said...

...which the universe will quickly resolve with mangling and destruction and death ooo look, they built a new Putt-Putt course.

dubby said...

When I get like that, I have to take old business cards and write ONE thing on the back of each and tape them to the cabinet. Then I have to make sure I don't clean up more than ten things at a time. It is so hard to stay on task. Dianna likes to yell at me about it.