Monday, October 27, 2008

Ninjas and capos

It may be too late to start thinking about this... but I think I'm going to be a ninja for Halloween. I've already got a black shirt and black pants, though the pants are flannel-lined Carhartt's, which may be a little too bulky for a good ninja effect. I also have black pajama pants, which would work pretty well except that they'd be pretty cold. So I'm trying to figure out what else I'd need. I'm wondering if I could just get a long strip of black cloth, cut it in half, tie half of it around my waist as a sash to hold a katana or something in place, then wrap the other half around my head as a face mask (because all real ninjas wear face masks). Only I don't know if just tying it around my head would work. I might have to actually sew the mask, which is made difficult by the fact that I don't have a sewing machine. Or the time to sew anything, actually. Hm. I don't know. Anyone have any experience with ninja face masks?

In other news, this week's Sun Star articles were, if possible, even worse than last week's. In addition, we got a letter to the editor in which the author ripped apart the copy editor (that's me) for the typos on the cover of our last... several... issues. The big glaring typos on the front page of our newspaper really is a source of great embarrassment to me. Seriously, how can you overlook "Universtity" and "alumus" and "politcal" when they're in huge letters on the very front of your paper? But unfortunately, despite being the copy editor, I'm not even allowed to see the headlines or cover or even the layout of the newspaper before it gets printed. So, not surprisingly, I wasn't particularly happy with that letter to the editor. At least it didn't get printed. The guy who wrote it sent us another e-mail a few hours later saying he was a little hasty and would rather we didn't publish his letter. Oh, also, our layout manager (the girl who is responsible for the typos in the headlines) finally learned today how to use the spell check. Maybe things will start looking up now!

In funnier news, my boss used the word "douchebag" in the editorial she wrote today. Then she didn't believe me when I said it was two words... even though I had the dictionary in my hands to prove it when I mentioned it. People are funny about that kind of thing. "I know you've got proof, but I'm still not wrong!"

It was kind of a boring day, really. Ten hours of editing, interrupted for only half an hour of juggling practice because nobody showed up but me, and juggling by yourself is kind of lame. But I set a new personal record for the 3-club cascade: 620! That exactly doubles my last record. Woohoo! Now I just need to do that ten times and I can match Rob's record, yeah? I would have kept going, but two things messed me up: 1) My arms were getting tired, and 2) A song came on my Zune that I really hated, and I had to change it or start crying like a little girl who got mud on her new shoes. Well, or I could have just sucked it up, I guess. I just didn't. Darn.

Oh hey, I found a guitar capo in the snow yesterday! If I were the good person I was three years ago, I would take it to Lost and Found. But capos only cost about fifteen dollars, and I want one for if/when I get my guitar up here, so I'm going to be a bad person and keep it unless I see someone posting ads all over the place crying for his lost capo. Boy, I'm going to hell for this. Don't tell the bishop, okay?

3 comments:

Terrace said...

I know how to make a ninja mask with a t-shirt, my friend taught me. I looked it up on the internet and actually found instructions! Amazing!

Well here is a cheap way to do it

http://www.entertheninja.com/ninja_fun/shirt_ninja.php

Terrace said...

also does it make me a nerd when I saw your moms blog and read "In Ashenvale" ?

Anonymous said...

As noted in various online "slang dictionaries", douchebag is one word, not two.

And yes, Tigris, reading Ashenvale does make you a nerd.

On an unrelated note, I read it exactly the same way!