I finally got around to reformatting my computer--with help from Rob. Now I have two partitions: one for my programs and one for my files. Theoretically, that means next time I have to reformat, I'll only have to reformat the one partition and I won't lose all my data. I'd say I hope so, but that implies I don't hope I never have to reformat again. Nyuk!
Actually, it's not so bad. It's kind of nice starting with a clean slate, I guess.
Today was my first day at my new job... sort of. Well, it's an editing job, so my boss e-mails me the files as we get them, and I'm allowed to edit them from home. Since I don't have Microsoft Office on my desktop ever since the last time CompUSA reformatted my computer (rawr), I've pulled out my old laptop, Harvey, and made it my work computer. It's nice being able to work wherever and whenever I want.
Anyway, by "sort of" my first day, I mean I've been editing since Thursday, but today was my first day working in the office. Sundays are the busiest days, because that's the day when everything gets turned in at once and we have to have it all edited and laid out by evening.
So that was cool. It was funny reading articles that were written so badly that they made me want to track down the author and rip out their internal organs with a pickle fork.
Although, speaking of disemboweling people, I'm really getting tempted to do just that to my roommate. I heard her talking to Sarah the other day, discussing what time Amanda's swim meet was. They both said it was at 2:30, but Amanda had just told me an hour before that it was 12:30. So when Brooke stalked through the room, pointedly not looking in my direction, I tried to cheerfully tell her that the meet was at 12:30. She snarled at me, "GOOD FOR YOU!" and stormed off up the stairs. Impressively, she managed to snarl at me without looking in my direction.
Also, while Rob and I were reformatting my computer yesterday, Brooke kicked us out of the room because she wanted to sleep. That's perfectly fine--there's nothing wrong with that. But her attitude of "get the hell out of here, you annoying bastards" kind of annoyed me, along with the fact that when we asked for five more minutes so we could at least get the internet working so we could have it downloading updates (but not Service Pack 3) while we finished working on the laptop downstairs, she got mad and told us we could do it downstairs. ....Yeeeeah, let's move the whole desktop downstairs to finish reformatting it. Sorry, Brooke, but I think the process of moving the computer downstairs would take longer than getting the internet to work.
Then today, when I got home at ten, the bedroom lights were off (I'm in the habit of not turning them on at all if I can help it, just in case Brooke's around, although I can never see if she is because of her wall-thing) and there was a note taped to my computer screen. I took it out in the hall to read it. Basically, it ripped me apart for "leaving the lights on all night. That's what desk lamps are for. A roommate has the right to sleep at one in the morning without being kept up with lights and noise." She went on to babble about all the other things I do that annoy her, using phrases like "in accordance with the Residence Life Handbook," and finally said "If we have problems with any of these issues, I will not hesitate to speak with an RA about them. Thanks for cooperating."
I know Mom doesn't like me using the word, but that really pisses me off. My first reaction to the note was to mope. Then I was tempted to open the door, flip on all the lights, kick down her wall, drag her out of bed, and force her to talk to me about whatever petty problems she has with me instead of leaving little notes lying around. That would actually almost be fair, since Brooke and Amanda dragged me out of bed a few days ago for a "roommate meeting" in which they basically said I don't buy enough materials for the apartment and also I never clean up after myself. I actually find that last one hilarious, because I always do my dishes the moment I'm done with them, and half the time, I do all the other dishes that have piled up in the sink as well. The only times I don't do my dishes are when Rob insists on doing them. I didn't mention that, though. They didn't seem in the mood to listen to a word I said. Of course, they never do.
Anyway, yeah. I hate little notes. They basically tear you apart without giving you a chance to explain yourself, defend yourself, or even apologize. I haven't yet decided what to do about it. I'm tempted to be obstinate and start doing everything I can to annoy her without technically breaking any rules. It would be highly immature, but very satisfying nevertheless. I could apply for a room transfer, I suppose. Or I could just continue to tiptoe around her and take the crap she dishes out at me.
...Or I could hire an assassin.
I should probably think of a solution pretty quickly, though. If this keeps getting worse, I may end up snapping and losing my temper, and that can not happen.
7 comments:
I think you should tell the RA you are having serious troubles. That's what she is for.
Leave little surprises on her side of the room but DON'T tell her it is you.
Make sure there isn't something important in the notes and drop them in the trash.
And laugh a lot.
Rob is an RA - what does he think?
swimming? in alaska? wow....
and yeah, she sounds like a jerk. i vote assassin!
no, really. i agree with mom. you should beat her to the RA. or attempt to talk to her about it... again. or you could write her a note back. "dude, i don't get it! what the freak is wrong with you!? what do you want from me? yours sincerly "girl you hate" That should do it.
I'm thinking a pissed off skunk in her bed. :)
Not really, but it sounded fun. :)
Chat up the RA and let him/her know that your roomate refuses to speak to you about her issues with you and ask for advice from the RA. That should get the ball rolling and it may turn out that a room transfer is in order.
Good luck!
Hey Buddy!
Sounds similar to the issues I had with several roomates at UAA. The above advice is good. Go talk to your RA and start documenting this stuff. Remeber what I told you when you were still at the resort? Keep a log with dates and times and what was said. Basically if you got it written down its more compelling evidence than just the verbal stuff. Oh yah- keep all thsoes little nasty grahams too. Just more evidence for your side. And agian go talk to the RA- its what they are paid for!
Good luck!
Laura
Do you want me to visit and bring my stick?
Okay, first, I think your roommate has a point. If there is only the one overhead light, 1 a.m. in the morning is not the time to have it on. Even if you don't have a desk lamp, you shouldn't have the overhead light on at that hour. Period.
Second, it doesn't matter how many or how few people are in the apartment, everyone will believe that THEY do more than their share of the dishes... everyone thinks they do ALL the dishes and no one else does any... that's a problem in every apartment that nothing will fix, with the possible exception of a duty roster, which comes with its own problems.
Third, did someone say that your roommate wants a room to herself? That could be a primary motive for her actions, and her attitude might have very little to do with the actual activities you are doing.
Fourth, you need to make darn sure that you know the resident handbook inside out, backwards and forwards, in every detail, so that you don't violate any policies or rules, even inadvertantly, and that you aren't even found to be in a gray area. As long as you are clean, don't fear the RA. Unless the RA is dating her. Toe the line, and you should be fine. But if she catches you violating the tiniest rule, you could be busted. So learn that handbook.
And finally, well, learning to get along with difficult people is a very useful skill, and triply so if you can win them over to your side and make a friend instead of an enemy. It isn't always possible, but if it can be done, it's certainly worth a try. Having the "room of my own" motive in there will make it harder, of course, but I wish you the best of luck.
There are two overhead lights in the room: One on her side, one on my side. Except for one time at the very beginning of the semester when I accidentally turned on the light because I didn't know she was in the room (I mentioned that in my blog when it happened), I've never had the light on after she went to bed, or even while she was getting ready for it. The only exception was two days ago, when Rob and I were reformatting the hard drive on the computer and she got all pissy and told us to do it downstairs. We asked for a few more minutes, couldn't figure it out, and had turned off the light and left in less than ten minutes anyway, figuring it would be better to fix it the next day than to risk her wrath.
Post a Comment