I actually feel like I learned something in Philosophy today! Holy cow! Someone mark the calendar!
Also, hey, remember that Latin midterm I took last week? For the sight-reading passage, I had no idea what some of the words were supposed to be, so my translation ended up being about fairy people looking for their socks? Well, I got the grade back today. I don't know what my Latin professor was thinking... but I ended up getting not just an A, but an A+. What the heck!
Not that I'm complaining. Actually, I got the grade on the way to my philosophy class, and I thought it was so funny, I told the four or five other people who were there early. No one reacted. At all. No laughs, no chuckles, no smiles, no "what the heck"s. Just silence. And then one girl said, "Why are you taking Latin?" This led to one of those conversations that went:
Girl: What are you going to do with a linguistics degree?
Me: Probably be an editor until I get bored of it, then go back to school and get a PhD and do teacher things till I get bored again and then go get a fun job like a carpenter.
Girl: You don't seem like the carpenter type.
Me: ......Why, because I don't have tattoos and bulging muscles and I don't swear enough?
Girl: No. But my husband is the head of a construction company.
Me: ....Cool. I like carpentry. It's fun.
Girl: Okay.
Me: ...Actually, even better, I could be a professional spelunker!
Girl: What the hell is that?
Me: Someone who explores caves.
Girl: Why would you want to do that?
Me: ....*sigh*
Great giggling goggles, I miss Nutty Putty Caves so bad! And Grand Caverns. And oy, I wish there were caves within fifty miles of here....
Oh well.
1 comment:
So... how did the speech go?
Post a Comment