I woke up at 7:30 yesterday because I had an appointment to get my car winterized at the University Chevron. It's only about two blocks off campus. It was twenty degrees this morning, but I was dressed warmly enough, and I brought my Zune so I kept my ears warm and had music for the walk back.
I got back in plenty of time for my classes and walked down to the library to print off the outline for my speech class. Unfortunately, my file was corrupted. So I ran back up to my dorm (the library computers, for some reason, don't have Microsoft Word or, actually, any word processor as far as I can tell!) and rewrote the whole outline as fast as I could (and dang, speed-writing a bibliography is a pain!), then ran back down to the library to print it out. Again, it refused to read the file. By that time, I had completely missed my German class and I was ten minutes late to speech class, which I can't afford to miss, especially since it was a presentation day (automatic twenty point deduction for missing a presentation day). So I went to class without my homework and just talked to her after class. She was pretty nice about it and let me e-mail it to her. I definitely look forward to when my printer gets here.
From there, I went to the student government office to fill out paperwork so I can start work. But the lady wasn't there, so the people said to come back around one or two. So I went home and was going to write a quick five-minute blog post. The post ended up taking a lot longer to write than I expected because I kind of really got into it (heh). I finished right around two and walked back to campus again to get my paperwork done. I managed to catch her just as she was leaving again. She was very nice and friendly. We got to the end and she asked for my social security card to make a copy of it, and I reached in my wallet... and the card wasn't there! What the heck? I almost freaked out, because I always keep it in my wallet, but then I vaguely remembered thinking, at some point in the past "Boy, it sure is stupid of me to carry something this important around in my wallet with me all the time. Maybe I should take it out and put it somewhere safer." So I have to go back again tomorrow because I can't start until they have that. (And yes, I did find the card without any trouble, no worries.)
After feeling like a total idiot, I decided to go talk to my academic adviser. See, there's this class, Morphology, which is a 300-level class, which I'm required to take before I can graduate. I was signed up for it this semester, but the class was canceled. (I think I've mentioned this before, but it can't hurt to mention it again.) Well, I found out recently that the class is only offered in fall semesters of even years. In other words, I won't even get the chance to take this class again until 2010, long after I'm currently hoping to graduate. (I only have two semesters worth of classes left.) So I visited my academic adviser to see if either I could petition to have the class offered again sometime soon or take it correspondence or... well, anything, really. I don't want to graduate without taking morphology--it's kind of a core of linguistics, and besides, I was really looking forward to it. She looked at the schedule and said, "Hm, you're right, it's not being offered again anytime soon. I'll put in a request for you, but you know what you should do? Go ahead and take the next level of morphology. Just explain to the teacher why you couldn't take the 300-level one and he should let you in." The next level of morphology is Linguistics 604! That's a GRADUATE level class! We're not talking just graduate! We're talking second year graduate! I'm going to DIE! "Oh, it's fine, just talk to the teacher to get permission to skip taking 320, which is the prerequisite." Yeah, get PERMISSION to fail the class! Holy cow, I'm going to die!
...Well, actually, I think it's really cool. Only it'll be insane amounts of work, I expect. Plus, since they charge tuition per credit here, and more per credit for higher level classes, it'll cost me like five hundred dollars more. Grrrr.
So I walked back home, freaking out, and discovered that my computer had blue-screened yet again while I was gone. I booted it back up and decided it would really be a good time to try fixing it with the Windows disc Rob gave me a few days ago that I haven't gotten around to trying yet. But first, I wanted to back up my files. Just in case. So I started to do that, but ran out of space on my external hard drive because... well, I've backed up my computer on it about four times and every time, instead of rewriting what I already had on there, I just added on to it. So I had most of my files on there four times already. So I went through and cleaned that off and organized it and then backed everything up. Unfortunately, some of the files were corrupted, and a lot of the folders are empty, but refuse to let me delete them. Daggumit.
I got a phone call as I was doing that saying that my car was ready to be picked up, so I stopped what I was doing to walk back down to the University Chevron to get my car.
By the time I got back and finished backing up my files, it was almost six o'clock. Slightly over two hours until juggling practice. And I had about forty-five minutes of German homework, about three hours of philosophy homework, a lot of reading to do for English, and my Latin exam to study for, which I'd intended to take today because I didn't think I'd be very busy today. Ha!
...And all I really wanted to do was sleep. For some strange reason or other, my limbs suddenly felt like they each weighed half a ton. So I decided to lay down for a while. I figured if I took a nap before juggling practice, then juggling would wake me up the rest of the way and I'd be awake and sort of rested afterwards so I could stay up and get my homework done.
...Now it's two in the morning. I just woke up half an hour ago. So much for juggling practice.
Now if you'll excuse me... I really need to get started on my homework. Blaaaah.
2 comments:
Ha.. I am up early too.
I have a had habit of carrying my social security card in my wallet too, actually at one point i had my ssc and my birth certificate in it haha, if I lost that it would be pretty ugly.
I wish I could just tell you to take it easy, but you are pretty much busy all the time and hard to really take a breather. With this new job though be careful not to load up on too many hours because I think you may get burnt out if you do too many :P
If those computers don't have word, but use windows I am sure they have wordpad at least.. it comes with windows. Start - Run - Wordpad
Anyway I should sleep too.. but I have homework as well yay!! :D
Hope you aren't too tired tomorrow.
Take care :]
Wow. :/ Good luck with that.
Teehee, I'm sure you'll do fine.
Post a Comment