Okay, so another question for all you computer nerds. A few days ago, my computer downloaded a Windows Update. I think it was called Service Pack 3 or something like that. After that, it restarted. When it restarted, it said Windows hadn't been shut down properly and gave me the option of starting it in Safe Mode or last known good configuration or starting it normally. I started it normally, it got as far as halfway through lighting up the Windows logo, and then flashed up a blue screen too fast for me to read and restarted. The problem continued, no matter what mode I tried to start it in, until I finally went into BIOS, flipped through it, gave up, and said "Discard Changes & Exit." Then it started just fine. Weird.
Well, I kept having the problem. The first few times, just going into BIOS and exiting without saving seemed to work, but after a while, it didn't seem to want to do that either. One time, it didn't work until I took out the CD that was in the drive, and this last time, it didn't work until I unplugged my external hard drive, which I had plugged in just an hour or so before to back up my files in case my computer decides to commit suicide from this.
Finally, I got out my camera, videotaped the computer screen while it flashed up the blue screen, then plugged the camera into my laptop to read what the screen said.
"The BIOS in the system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor or visit http://www.hardware-update.com for an updated BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation."
I went to the website and can't find an update for my BIOS. Of course, I was also pretty lost--that website's a pain to navigate. What does it mean about being prompted to install storage drivers? I don't remember that. Anyone know how I can fix this problem? I'll love you forever if you can help me!
9 comments:
I don't know bios, or mother board is :P
I have a program that can tell you it, you can just ask me in an email if you want it. It may help.
Storage device would be a flash drive, or I guess hard drive.
zzz you are asleep, dork :P well i'll help you tomorrow
Sorry, I meant what YOUR bios, and mother board is >_>
Does your PC run an AMD Processor? If I remember correctly, you've got an HP...If so...Houston, we have a problem, but it's not fatal!
Let me know ASAP
I do have an AMD processor, but my computer's not HP, it's home-built. My motherboard is an ASUS A8N32-SLI, and I think my BIOS version is 1009.
I tried System Restore, and that didn't work. I haven't messed with the RAM at all, and my computer doesn't hibernate, which everything I look up says is the cause of the error message I've been getting: 0x000000A5. I also use Windows XP Professional, not Windows 2000. My windows and drivers are all, apparently, up to date. I updated and then ran my virus scanner and came up with nothing--I guess I'll try downloading AVG and running that too, just in case.
Nope, it's not a virus. There's an issue with XP Service Pack 3 and that particular motherboard, and no, it's not Microsoft's fault (for once).
First thing I want you to do to get past the blue screen of death is fairly easy.
1) If you're using a USB mouse, find a PS/2 adapter (the little plug thing that will let you plug the mouse into the regular port next to the keyboard port).
2) Insert a USB Flash drive into one of your rear USB ports. It's a goofy workaround, but for some odd reason, SP3 will seem to boot fine with a secondary drive installed.
3) I'm running out of room to type, so find me on skype!
I found your BIOS update and have sent it to you via email. There's a link to instructions on what to do to update your BIOS.
Good Luck!
:)
woot! go king! :]
The BIOS update will not fix the problem as it relates to Service Pack 3. Unfortunately, Asus is aware of this issue, but claims that it is Microsoft's responsibility.
As I indicated earlier, the workaround seems to be the installation of a secondary storage device (USB Drive) at start-up. Once you're able to boot Win XP into safe mode, you'll need to go to add/remove programs and uninstall Service Pack 3.
Until either MS or Asus addresses this compatibility issue, you'll be unable to run Service Pack 3 on that particular motherboard.
Call me directly if you have any more questions, or need "tech support" via the phone! lol
i like sandwiches.
Post a Comment