Monday, September 15, 2008

Flameth?

I juggled torches for reals yesterday. It was pretty awesome. Actually, once I lit them up, they flared up too high--I didn't shake off enough of the excess lighter fluid--so I burned half the hair off my left arm. Cleared ALL the hair off the hand and burned my fingers a little bit, too. It was SO COOL!!! Once I got the torches going, it was actually remarkably easy. Also, I invented a few tricks with the poi (and by "invented" I mean they've probably been invented already, but I thought them up and taught them to myself). There was this one trick I came up with which involved slinging them both in circles down near the ground and jumping over them. President Rob watched me try for a minute and said, "Hey, that looks pretty cool." He grabbed the other set of poi and... did it perfectly first try. Rawr, punk! (Actually, that's not true at all--I was doing it just as well as he was, but it's not as funny of a story that way.)

I also got a club t-shirt with our club name and motto on it. "Alaska Gravity Works - Dropping things on the floor since 1993." I love this juggling club. Can you tell? :D

Ran into Natee (a girl from juggling club) on campus today. We both complained about/mocked our speech teachers. My speech teacher has a lisp and no sense of humor. She had us get together in groups today and write down our expectations from her and from other students in the class, and then had us "write them on the board tho we can dithcuthh them and tho I can veto any I dithapprove of." Of the thirty or so suggestions we wrote up there, the only one she vetoed was the suggestion that the teacher lighten up the class a bit by telling occasional jokes. Apparently "humor ith not nethethhary in a learning environment." My bad feeling about this class keeps getting worse.

Okay, I'm sorry, it's wrong of me to mock her lisp. She can't help it. It is ironically funny, though, that a speech professor should have a lisp, don't you think?

I enjoy all my other classes. Even Latin isn't too bad so far. Actually, it seems to get a little easier as I go. But I may change my opinion after I get my first homework assignment back. Anyway, I'm understanding the reading much more than I did in 201. Of course, that's not saying much, since even by the end of the semester, I didn't have a clue what the story was about. At all. I can't believe I passed that class. I wouldn't have passed me.

I got to pretend I was useful yesterday--the volume control on Jack's laptop refused to show up on the taskbar. The problem was, there's a program called sndvol32.exe that has to be installed in order for it to work, and whenever he tried changing the setting to put it down there, it said the file was missing. I don't know where his file went. I searched his computer for it and it wasn't there, and I'm always a little wary of downloading files from the internet. So I went home, copied the file from my computer, put it in his system32 folder, and voila! Problem fixed. Yay! I am useful!

Okay, this post was a little rambly, but oh well. It's the best you're getting just now because I have errands to run and homework to do and besides, I'm hungry. Toodles!

2 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Okay, question: Why didn't the ControlPanel--SoundsAndAudioDevices--Volume--Place Volume Icon on Taskbar option work? That control is at the operating system level and should work, regardless of whether third party drivers are installed or not, shouldn't it? Just asking.

Next question: are you making the arrangements for my trip to Utah in early January?

Terrace said...

Sheesh, stop burning your hair :P