Saturday, January 26, 2008

Cogito, Ergo Sum

I took my mom's personality test and apparently, I'm an INTP. It was fun reading the description, which described me down to a T. Uh... where did that phrase "down to a T" come from, anyway?

Meh, that's beside the point. I'll bullet a few of the points I thought were the funniest because they were so exact. And my editing professors would have a cow if they saw this, because some of the bullets will be complete sentences, and others will be phrases. They're all direct quotes, though.
  • often actually are oblivious to the world around them
  • Precise about their descriptions, [...] will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off.
  • relatively easy-going
  • haunting sense of impending failure. They spend considerable time second-guessing themselves.
  • Mathematics is a system where many INTPs love to play, similarly languages, computer systems--potentially any complex system. Understanding, exploring, mastering, and manipulating systems can overtake the INTP's conscious thought. [...] Accomplishing a task or goal with this knowledge is secondary.
  • In seasons of low energy level, or moments of single-minded concentration, the INTP is aloof and detached in a way that might even offend.
  • relative absence of environmental awareness, except when the environment is the current focus. Consciousness of such conditions is at best a sometime thing.
  • When present, the INTP's concern for others is intense, albeit naive.
  • known to defer judgement and to allow decisions about interpersonal matters to be left hanging lest someone be offended or somehow injured.
Wow, going back and reading that list hurts me because of the mix of complete sentences and fragments. But it can stay, because I'm lazy. I don't have to look at it anymore.

Oh! The career indicator suggested I go into either education, natural science, computer programming, engineering, law or library science. The funny thing is, I've seriously considered every one of those except law. Some famous INTPs were Einstein, Socrates, and Renee Descartes (the guy who said "I think, therefore I am").

My dad sent me a new camera. It's nice--probably twice as good as my old one, and weighs less than half as much. Only takes two batteries too. Good thing he sent me some rechargeable batteries too, though, because the batteries died after taking about twenty pictures. Lame! I've never seen anything guzzle batteries so fast!

I picked up my room a bit. Now I need to take the trash out... AGAIN. I also need to do laundry. I'm out of clean socks, I think, and it's really gross pulling crusty socks onto your feet.

Work is kind of awkward now, because every time I look at Rye, I remember that picture of him when he was my age on the bulletin board in Grounds.... Holy crap! But that's just wrong, because he's my boss, and anyway, he's old now! I thought for a bit "Well, since I'll never live it down, I might as well play it up," but I found I wasn't able to do that.... And yeah, Rye knows I said that old picture was freaking hot. Geez, that's awkward.

Guess I should download Hello again and put up some pictures of the snow and icicles and stuff.... When I get around to it.

This post has been brought to you by the word raconteur.

4 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Once upon a time, in a land far away, there was a daddy whose camera required not one, not two, but four, batteries. His batteries also went dead after taking only a few photographs, but probably not as fast as a camera requiring only two batteries. You see, this man didn't open up the camera box, he relied on a number of third-party reviews and endorsements to get one for his daughter, and it never crossed his mind the fact that rechargeable batteries never contains as much "juice", even when fully charged, as a plain old pair of alkalines. I too am surprised at how well the Myers-Briggs test pegged me, and called me a "master mind", can you believe it? It too, told me I should be in education, or natural sciences (not everyone knows where to find Ganymede or Deneb ... or Xylem and Cambrium ... or mitochondria vs. chloroplasts). Oh, well, I hope you are doing well. Let's see some pictures on this blog. And they lived happily ever after. -- raconteur extraordinaire wannabee

dubby said...

You can post pictures from Picasa, which I really recommend. Or else you can just post them directly from the blog page.

I never had problems with the rechargeables. They are so much better than the nonrechargeables that cost more than film and run down almost as fast. And you just have to have a backup pair with you at all times.

But you need some discipline to have the rechargeables charged!

Queen Karana said...

You might consider checking the settings on your camera. There are a few settings that you can change that won't affect the quality of the pictures - I think mine has some option that backlights the menu for a certain number of seconds if you make changes to it... gosh, I really don't remember all the options, but you might want to double check your settings. Just a thought...

Terrace said...

ew crusty socks lol!


Also!

You still owe me a nice picture of Alaska :P like.. the sun rise or where you work at and the 20 feet of snow you have to shovel :D